Saturday, July 17, 2004

Project: TV Viewing Arm

Do you ever wish you could watch The Simpsons, play Halo on your XBOX, and watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off on DVD while still remaining fully reclined in your bed? I sure do. Nobody hates unnecessary exertion more than me. I believe that dignity has fewer virtues than sloth. And so after a quick brainstorming session and two trips to Wal-Mart, I produced the following masterpiece of engineering:




Parts:
  • One PC TV tuner card. I used a TV Wonder VE from ATI, because the local CompUSA had it pretty cheap ($50). I find the image quality sub-par, but acceptable nonetheless.
  • One 12" x 12" mirror tile. Wal-Mart sells these in packs of 6 for $9.96.
  • One 16" x 24" aluminum rafter square. $5.97 at Wal-Mart.
  • One C-clamp. Wal-Mart has packs of 3 for $4.44.
  • Two 7" aluminum triangle squares. $3.86 each at Wal-Mart.
  • Industrial strength duck tape. Of course I had this already.

Assembly:
  1. My computer runs Linux, so I prepared by installing tvtime for live TV/video games and mplayer for movie playback (both of which have an option to reverse the video).

  2. Using a C-clamp, I secured the rafter square to the shelf above my computer's monitor as shown in the picture. The longer side reaches out over the pillow, approximately centered across my bed. I made sure to tighten the clamp very well, to minimize the chance of waking up with a bloody face.

  3. I used duck tape to attach the triangle squares side-by-side to the underside of the long end of the rafter square, then attached the mirror to the bottom of the 2 triangles using more duck tape. Again, I made sure to secure the mirror very well.


All finished! The entire build took less than 20 minutes to complete.


Sloth's-Eye View:



Some final notes: I've found that headphones make the experience much greater, with the added bonus of not annoying my roommates who may suffer from less unorthodox sleep patterns. And as you have probably noticed, I placed my XBOX within arm's reach, giving me the ability to turn the power on and off and change discs without getting up or even shifting the position of my body, clearly as God intended.


1 Comments:

Blogger The B&G said...

Dave you truly are a genius.
mrtastycake.blogspot

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home